“Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.”
What the hell! No way. But it has been a quite interesting and fun year. It looks as it was yesterday but this blog has turned one year today.
Only a year but it has been a great travel of personal discovery: whisky, history, facts, geography and friends.
Before I started blogging I was already collecting malt whiskies but I wasn’t really interested in how they tasted. One day I decided to open one miniature of Compass Box Spice Tree and I was impressed about how good it was. Then another, and another, and another. And just one day I decided to write tasting notes about what I was drinking. I could have do it the way other great whisky blogs does, but being myself engineer (Dilbert! You are not alone!) I preferred the hard way: write tasting notes so a computer can process them and do interesting things with it. Just a few months later I created whisky-o-matic, which is really fun if you haven’t tried yet!.
I have learnt lots of things about how whisky is made, how barley is grown, how water is chosen based in its characteristics. I have learnt a lot about ageing of whisky and how the wood influence the final result, with two bottles of a great Laphroaig 10 years old Cask Strength sacrificed in the altar of knowledge.
I still have to improve my world geography but now I know where Islay, Orkney, Kentucky and Hokkaido are situated.
And I have known great people related to whisky: from bloggers like Galg of WhiskyIsral, Steve of The Whisky Wire, Ruben of Whisky Notes, John Hansell of MaltWhisky Advocate, Billy Abbott of Billy’s Booze Blog, John Campbell of Laphroaig for their invitation to Laphroaig Live 2010, Richard Barr who shared with me a whole Whiskylive show. Special thanks for the chaps at Master of Malt for their support during this year.
Crying already? Feeling emotional?
Ok, so let’s get back to the crude bare numbers! :)
This year can be resumed in a few numbers and two or three great posts.
- 1 year
- 365 days
- 1 whisky show ( hey! I have had to fight for that single one a lot! )
- 619 bottles of whisky bought ( don’t panic! Most of them are samples! )
- 372 tasting notes written.
- 356 posts published.
- 150K visits. ( and growing! )
- Tasted Macallan 30 years old Fine Oak.
- Bought a bottle of Highland Park Earl Haakon.
- Drink Kilchoman Inagural Release.
- A new son ordered.
- Built a whisky library for reference.
Sensual promises for the future
Those are my promises for the future.
- 2 whisky shows ( I must be at The Whisky Show 2012 and Maltstock 2012. At least! )
- Less whisky bought. ( My wife is going to kill me. And the worst thing is that she may be right about it )
- More tasting notes.
- More and better articles about distilleries.
- Better whisky-o-matic suggestions.
- More friends, more social. ( Did you know you can submit your own tasting notes for whisky-o-matic now? )
Thank you all for this great year.